The Student News Site of Overland High School

Scout

Scout

Scout

The Rise of Artificial Intelligence (AI)

Artificial Intelligence (AI) has become an integral part of our daily lives, changing how we work, communicate, and learn. From virtual assistants like Siri and Alexa to self-driving cars, AI transforms how we interact with technology. On one hand, AI has the potential to improve efficiency and productivity in schools by creating assignments and helping answer questions. This can help decision-making in schools around the country.

However, there are also concerns about the ethics of AI. There are worries about job displacement as AI technology advances and replaces human workers in specific industries. There are also concerns about how much AI affects students and cheating. In this report, we will explore the benefits and negatives of AI and how society can navigate the challenges and opportunities that come with this evolving technology.

We will interview teachers and students at Overland High School to gain insight: We asked them what their thought on AI is. Do they think it’s affecting them negatively or positively? Does AI have a positive or negative impact on their day-to-day school life? Many had different opinions and comments to make.

English teacher Aaron Guggenheim remembers the first time a student utilized AI.

“I allowed it because a new student from abroad was using AI to translate and improve his English skills.”
Guggenheim is also aware of when his students are responsible for the writing. “I am pretty familiar with my student’s work, so I can tell when they are using AI and when it’s not them.

“I use Al for English work, but I don’t copy and paste it straight away; most of the time, I just use it for spelling and grammar correction. I don’t think AI should be banned from schools because it’s helpful, and many students use it to get help.”

“We have non-English speakers here at Overland High School, and AI does help them with their English assignments,” stated Kendra Orozoco, an 11th-grade student.

“I don’t use AI very often, but when I do, I use it to get a basic understanding,” says 12th grader Justin Rogers. “I intend to use AI cautiously because I believe it can result in problems like plagiarism.”

As we can see, AI has the potential to revolutionize education forever. By harnessing the usage of AI carefully, schools can create an adaptive and eye opening learning environment for students all around the world.