The Student News Site of Overland High School

Scout

Scout

Scout

Q & A on FAFSA

The 2024 FAFSA form opened up for seniors on December 31st, 2023. FAFSA, otherwise known as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid is a government application that is highly recommended to complete if you plan to go to college. This form gives students free money based on their living circumstances. Since this year’s FAFSA application is different compared to previous years, students have many questions. If you are curious about the new FAFSA form you should go see Mr. Sewell in Post Grad. When signing up for the FAFSA application you need a parent to help you fill it out.

Joshua Kisolo, a senior at OHS asks, “Some students might live by themselves so why do they need their parents’ information as well”? The answer to this is that “FAFSA calculates the parent that claims you on their taxes even if you don’t live together”.

This year’s FAFSA form ends June 30th 2024. Although it ends in mid-summer, giving you six months to complete. It’s suggested to complete the form as soon as possible. Before beginning your application you’ll first need to create an account ID. This ID process is mandatory to complete so make sure to do it. After you’ve created your ID you will have access to begin the form. To start your FAFSA form you’ll need to head to studentaid.gov and begin answering the questions.

When filling out the FAFSA form it asks you about your tax return information.

Yohanis Mekonen, another senior at OHS asks, “Does FAFSA calculate your tax return as well or just your parents’”? This is important because many of the students who are applying for the FAFSA applications have jobs.

After speaking to Mr. Sewell in Post Grad the answer is, “If the student has a job in the prior tax year then yes. The FAFSA form tax return has to be the one from the prior year. So, this means that this year’s FAFSA form tax return information has to come from 2022. Make sure that before beginning the form you have the important forms needed for eligibility. These forms are your Social Security Number, W-2s, any form that has your recorded earned money, your 2022 income tax, and your green card. If you aren’t a United States citizen and if you don’t have your green card then you need your alien registration card.

Another highschool at OHS, Saif Alsaedi had this to say – “What happens if I don’t have a Social Security Number”. According to Mr.Sewell, “If the Student doesn’t have an SSN they could still fill out the FAFSA ”. He also states that “If the parent doesn’t have an SSN they’ll fill out the CASFA form”.

Remember OHS seniors if you’d like to attend college, then fill out the form for free money.